Head of the Harbor Eye Doctors
Head of the Harbor is located on Suffolk Countys North Shore within the Town of Smithtown. In 1677, the European activity was all started when Smithtown founder Richard Smith began deeding land on Stony Brook Neck in what is now Head of the Harbor to one of his sons. His son Adam built the first house on the east side of Three Sisters Harbor, now known as Stony Brook Harbor. Richard Smith also deeded land in what is now Nissequogue to his other children and they established farms there. Head of the Harbor became an incorporated village in 1928.
Head of the Harbor is also known for its excellent shopping, its warm and friendly atmosphere created by residents, fine dining, and historical landmarks that make this village special.
NSEC serves the residents of Head of the Harbor with a variety of concerns including narrow angle glaucoma. With narrow angle glaucoma, the drainage canal (angle) of the eye is actually very narrow and therefore reduces fluid outflow. This type of glaucoma is more common in farsighted patients and can be avoided if recognized on regular eye examinations.
The danger of a narrow drainage canal is that it can suddenly close off and create a steep and immediate rise in intraocular pressure. There is great risk of vision loss if an angle closure attack occurs. The symptoms of an angle closure attack are red painful eye, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, and headache. Angle closure is an eye emergency and needs to be treated as soon as possible. Angle closure can be avoided if a narrow drainage canal is diagnosed and treated.